Basic makeup is one my my favorite looks because it doesn't take a lot of effort or time, yet you still feel pretty and polished when finished. It's the perfect look for everyday. Here are the steps that I follow when doing the basic makeup application:
1) Start with your foundation. No scratch that. The very first thing you should do EVERYDAY is apply a sunscreen to your face (and body if exposed). AT LEAST SPF 15.
If you feel you need some coverage use a light to medium coverage foundation. You may only need a tinted moisturizer or powder. Apply to the whole face or spot cover red areas and areas that need to be evened out.
2) Take your concealer (one to two shades lighter than your foundation) and cover the undereye circles. Take a different concealer OR stick foundation in a shade that matches your skin and spot conceal areas with blemishes or redness.
3) Apply powder. I focus on the areas that have been concealed( undereyes plus some on the lids for a smoother and even surface) and the t-zone.
*If you want to apply a bronzer for a bit of a sun kissed glow - now would be the time to do it. Apply bronzer to cheeks, temples and a tiny hint on the bridge of your nose and tip of chin.
4) Apply a hilighting color to your eye area, just underneath the brows. I either use Benefit's High Beam or today I used Rimmel Colour Rush Quad Eyeshadow in Chocolatine. You can also apply a bit to the corner of your eye right around the tear ducts.
5) Apply eyeliner just to the top lash line. Black is usually too dramatic for an everyday basic look, so I use either dark brown or grey. Get as close to the lashes as possible. I used Rimmel Extreme Definition Two-Tone Eye Definer in Vamp (the darker side).
6) Curl the lashes (unless you are blessed with long curly lashes). This helps to open the eye area. Tip: Squeeze the curler at the base of the lashes, move it up a bit and squeeze again, and then again at the tips. Instead of crimping the lashes at the base this will give them a bit of curl. For even more curling power use a blowdryer to heat the curler before you curl the lashes (but not too hot - you don't want to burn your eyelids accidentally!)
7) Apply one coat of mascara. I've been using either L'oreal Voluminous Original Mascara or Revlon Beyond Natural Defining Mascara. Tip: Wipe the applicator with a tissue prior to applying your mascara to remove clumps.
8) Apply blush to cheekbones. A peachy pink color looks pretty and warm on almost everyone. I really like NARS Orgasm. If you use a blush with a bit of shimmer skip this next step, otherwise...
9) Apply a hilighter to the tops of your cheekbones.
10) Finish with a swipe of a natural colored lip gloss ( I used Rimmel Vinyl Bronze Mirror Shine Lipgloss in Summer Nude) and Voila!
It looks like a lot of steps but it should really only take minutes.